Today is national cake day!
You don’t need an excuse for cake, but here it is if you still feel like you do! Did you know that the word “cake” comes from the Old Norse word, “kaka,” meaning a baked flour confection?
All cakes from Belia’s Bakes are made from scratch. We all have to start somewhere and the very first cake I made was a chocolate cake from Anne Byrn’s The Cake Mix Doctor. If you want to try you own cake or are a beginner baker, looking to get started in cake making, here are some tips to help the cake box mixes taste a little more homemade!
Better Box Cake
- Add one more egg (or add 2 if you want it to be very rich)
- Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount
- Add 2 tsp of vanilla
- Instead of water, use milk
- Mix well and bake for the time recommended on the box
- For Chocolate Cakes, add 1 tsp of espresso powder to enhance the chocolate taste!
Tell me your favorite cake! Mine changes as I have a hard time picking just one. Currently, I’m loving pumpkin with cream cheese….tis the season!